Sunday 21 January 2018

Surprise Sunday: 5 Tips to Stay Fit and Healthy at University!

Keeping fit and healthy is another passion of mine. I love coming up with healthy recipes as well as doing regular exercise; whether that's going to my local gym or simply going for a long walk. I am also a second year uni student and thought I would share with you how I keep fit and healthy. These tips will be useful whether you are currently at uni or are starting later this year and what to avoid the dreaded Freshers Fifteen!

It doesn't have to cost a lot as you don't have to buy over priced health food or join an expensive gym, there are plenty of free ways to exercise and cheap shopping hacks that I have learnt to do. If I can manage it and I'm on a student budget, then you can too. So let's get started...

Tip #1 
My first tip would be to meal plan. You don't have to plan everything you will be eating from breakfast to dinner and snacks. I just plan my dinners and have some ideas for my lunches, and I pretty much eat the same breakfast everyday anyway. By knowing the meals I will be cooking means that I know exactly what I need to buy when I go shopping which saves money. It also means I have a healthy meal every night of the week and won't be reaching for takeaways and convince foods all the time.

Tip #2
This tip almost links with my first tip and that is to meal prep. By this I mean cook a big batch of food enough for a whole family, and then freeze the leftovers into separate portions. I love doing this as on days when I am too busy to cook, I can take out a meal from the freezer, let it defrost in the day. Then when it comes to dinnertime I have a healthy meal already made for me.

Tip #3
Write a shopping list. I know this sounds so simple but so many of my friends at uni don't do this. If I don't have a list I would go into the supermarket and buy so much stuff I don't need and just pick up what I fancy. If you write a list and meal plan then you only will buy what you need which will keep your food shopping bills down too.

Tip #4
Take part in regular or daily exercise. Now I am a member of my university gym and I take part in a variety of the exercise classes. I would totally recommend doing this as I love it, it doesn't cost that much as it is a uni gym, but other gyms also have student prices. I love going to the gym not only to keep myself fit but also for stress, it's great for my mental health during exam periods or if I have a lot of deadlines due in. If you don't have the finance or if gyms aren't for you then there are other ways you can exercise, you can walk, run, use Youtube to find free workouts to do in your room, I love HIIT workouts. You can even get a house mate or friend to join in with you, which will make it more fun. If you have a workout buddy you will probably be more inclined to workout and you can keep each other motivated.

Tip #5
Obviously uni is about going out, having fun and making amazing memories and friends. But try and keep nights out to once a week. Firstly, this will be cheaper and also better for your health, and will ensure you will get good night sleep other times during the week; which is important for your body and brain. I'm not saying not go out, as it is a big part of uni and remember university is only short term and will be over before we know it. Also, by going out once a week will mean you have plenty of time for assignments, haha. Then when it comes to going out it will be a nice treat and something to look forward to.

xoxo
Connie 

No comments:

Post a Comment